Travel Information for Bhutan
Visa & Package Trips
All tourists visiting Bhutan, except Indian, Bangladesh and Maldives Passport holders require a visa.
Tourists Visa can only be obtained through local Bhutanese Tour Operator, with whom you must book a pre-planned package trip.
Travel in Bhutan require payment of Minimum Tariff set by the Government of Bhutan that includes basic package trip that includes accommodation, meals, Guide, transfers, tourist fees, visa fees.
For additional services, such as better hotels, inclusion of other services not covered by this package, you will pay extra.
Once your trip is planned and booked, and upon payment for your trip, your Bhutan Visa Clearance Letter is issued.
This Visa Clearance letter can be emailed or sent digitally to you.
The actual visa is then stamped on your passport upon arrival at the airport or at the entry point (if you arriving by land), based on this pre-Approved Visa letter.
Bhutan Embassies and Missions abroad does not issue Tourist Visa.
You are required to provide a copy of the passport to the Tour Operator and do not require actual passport.
Visas for Official visits to Bhutan are processed through the Govt. agencies, NGOS, UN organisations or agencies inviting you to Bhutan.
Tourist Bhutan Visa fees (currently $40) are paid is paid along with your tour payment in advance through your tour operator. Validity of your visa is till the date of your tour.
Trip Payment System
Payment for your trip is usually made in US$ via bank transfer to the Bank of Bhutan, with your tour operator shown as the ultimate beneficiary of the funds. … We ask for payment 90 days in advance of the tour to give us plenty of time to finalise the arrangements for your booking.
Reservation / booking & Cancellation Policy
Below reservation/booking policy is applicable for the ones booking directly with Pink Experience in Bhutan. If you are booking through our agent, your booking terms will be as per that agent.
Once are ready to book, you will be asked to complete a short booking form and make a booking deposit.
Booking & Payment Schedule
- At time of Reservation ……$200 per person (nonrefundable deposit – transferable to another trip*)
- Final payment ……….70 days prior to start of the trip
- Additional payments for internal air, critical hotel or land segments during peak season may be required and will be informed as is known to us.
- A late booking fee may apply for late reservation to join our Small Group Experience.
- Pink Experience may charge fees for any changes you wish to make after having booked and confirmed hotels and services. This charge is for efforts and time, and are in addition to any charges applied by hoteliers or other suppliers/vendors.
Cancellations & Refunds
- $200 per person at time of reservation is nonrefundable and remaining will be refunded as follows
- 100 % refund if cancelled 71 days prior to start of the trip.
- 75 % refund if cancelled less than 71 days and 50 days prior to start of the trip
- 50 % refund if cancelled less than 50 days and more than 30 days.
- 25% refund if cancelled less than 30 days and more than 20 days.
- No refunds if cancelled less than 20 days or once the tour has commenced
Cancellation policy of the internal flights or other international flights are dictated by the airlines themselves. If booking is made through Pink Experience, we will process cancellations and make refunds to you as admission able by airline.
Cancellation of certain hotels or certain services are stricter, especially during the peak seasons. Pink Experience will inform you these cancellation policies if it is not covered by our cancellation fee schedule.
To qualify for any refunds, we must receive notification in writing. Cancellation date is the date the notice is received by Pink Experience in writing.
In the case of natural calamity (earthquake, Tornadoes, landslides etc) or political disturbance in the area that directly affects your visit to our destination, we will promptly refund the portion of the trip cost not already advanced to suppliers and use its best efforts to recover and refund the balance as promptly as possible.
Travel insurance with emergency medical evacuation, medical expense, and adequate coverage for death, repatriation, trip interruptions, Cancellation, Baggage loss, damage etc. is very important part of any trip. We highly recommend you buy a Travel Insurance.
Land Entry & Flights into Bhutan
Paro (1hr away from Thimphu) is the only international airport in Bhutan.
Western Tourists (those who book the package trip) can enter and exit Bhutan by flight into Paro. They can also enter and exit by land from Phuentsholing, Samdrup Jongkhar and Gelephu.
Druk Air (the national carrier) and Bhutan Airlines (also called Tashi Airlines) are the only two airlines operating flight into Bhutan. These two carrier operates daily flights from Delhi, Kathmandu, Bangkok (BKK) and there are occasional flights from Singapore, Bagdogra and Guwahati.
Travelling within Bhutan
Currently there are three domestic airports in Bumthang, Gelephu and Yonphula. Druk Air operates few seasonal flights to these airports. Inclement to weather, these flights are not reliable, especially to Yonphula airport. Bumthang is bit more reasonable to plan. All travels within Bhutan, otherwise is by land.